8 k PR and trying to figure that all out

So on Saturday, it was COLD!  I'll admit even for this Ohio Girl i was not pleased by the temperatures being thrown out.  When i got up and walked the dogs it was 25 degrees, when i got to the parking deck it was 28.  I stayed in the car as long as possible. I was pleased it was just cold and not rainy and cold.  Last years half in the half rain was not fun.  I wore thermal leggings, a thermal undershirt a technical long sleeve shirt and my manning shirt broncos gloves, a eternity scarf I made and my knit hat I made in broncos colors.  Yes I was bronco'd out and easy to see.    I must admit that I was a little chilly at first then as I walk ran skipped my way uphill to the start for the 8k I felt TREMENDOUSLY better.  I was worried I should have brought a jacket, by the time i got to the start line I was like yeah good call no jacket.

As for the race, #1 runners are rude.  Not the ones with watches and all their gear, but the ones that you can tell only come out for races and aren't true runners.  They will push you unnecessarily, step on you, try and push them way to the front of the corral and box you in then take off at an unsustainable speed and cutting you off to walk when they hit that wall of oh my god i'm running.  I hate non runner runners.  #2 listening to conversations of SERIOUS runners or those who like to run is kinda crazy hilarious.  Listening to all the things they did before and all the crazy diets and all the gear they have on and all that jazz was entertaining.  I ran with the fanny pack I've ran with since i got it at the shamrock last year.  It doesn't move around, and it stays flat.  i need to maybe figure out what to do with my keys though cause they fit awkwardly in it.  But all i had in my fanny was my phone, my chapstick and my zune. I giggle at the people with all their gels and beans for a distance under ten miles.

 Anyway, so i start off and i'm still not used to reading my new watch, I am totally thrown off my what i thought was my pacing.  I knew my pacing was good at around my 11:30 pacing but my watch was telling me I was pacing around 17 then 19 and I was like WHAT?!  i then noticed that was the time.  Fixed my face looked up and saw the two mile marker and realized that i was going a lot faster than my usual pacing, I had a moment of panic and my legs were like omg omg, then I drew knowledge and power from the spirit animal who said, "You were doing just fine till you thought about it.  Now it's cold, you know we don't like the cold get to the finish line."  SO my legs got it together and i refound my pacing and continued on.  i finally stopped for water and walk, gulp jogged and headed onto finish my run.  It was the only time i slowed pace.  I finally accomplished a race where i did not WALK at all.  As i started my descent to the finish line i realized that i was finishing way earlier than the 55-58 mins i had planned.  I looked at my watch and it said 50 mins and I almost tripped down the hill.  I regained my footing and trucked down the hill to finish with a clock time of 51:41 net time of 50:19.

When i paced it out with my watch at home, it worked out to under ten mins per mile.  Mile two was my slowest mile at 10:21  the rest hovered in the 9:45s till the last mile where i trucked it at 9:24.  overall pace was 10:07.  Now i don't know if it's cause my last mile was pretty much downhill, if it was cause i was cold and wanted a hot coffee.  while the hill would explain the last mile it didn't explain the four before it.  It had a higher elevation than i usually run, and it was cold.  I usually don't run well when it's cold.  all my practice runs were around 11:30/11:45 pacing.  where this burst of running prowess came from who knows.  I like it though.  But i may find myself disappointed trying to duplicate if for my next race the 10k turkey trot.  I'd like to finish in 60 mins.  but i am realistic and know it will probably be more around 1 hour 5-10 mins.   either way it would be better than last year.  then the 10 miler will be the following week after that and then a weigh in and measuring so i can see if my plot to lean up in 30 days worked.  If the next two races show me the same thing then i'll be moving my watch pacing down so i can reach my next goal in time for the 35k

Comments

Popular Posts