Shamrock Half Marathon and new goals set

ok so i think for not having run a lot i did a good job.

my official time was 2 hours 47 mins and 3 seconds.  5 mins better than my time in November.  my first 10k was also 7 mins better than the one i did just 2 weeks ago.  i thank the terrain being flat but seeing improvement is always helpful.

I was keeping a steady 11 min mile time till i hit mile 7 after mile 7 i hit a wall and was averaging around 12-13 min miles till mile 11.  Mile 11... my nemesis.  at 11.5 i caught a nasty leg cramp that no amount of GU, gatorade, stretching could get out which took me all the way down to 15 min miles which pissed me off.  Even with my shift from 11 min miles to 12-13 i was on track for finishing with a time around 2 hrs and 30 mins.  this is not the first time though i caught a cramp that jacked me up in a high mile.  it happened in mile 12 at the one in Nov.  I am not sure what it is.  I was well hydrated, had snacks and was making sure i was all set and ready but mile 11/12 is my nemesis that i will have to defeat this year.  With this half i'm gonna have to adjust the following:

New shoes
New running routine
More long runs
Must do full warm up pre-run
Get better at following the rhythm my garmin sets for me.

All in all this was a great way to gauge my training and it's success and non success.  When it comes to my overall fitness and conditioning it was good, i would like to thank my lifting and bodyflow for that.  As it comes to my running, i need to run more even if it means running on the evil treadmill on bad weather days.  I HAVE TO DO IT to decrease my times.

Also i need to start the lean up process.  As i up my weights i'm lifting and adjust my diet and supplements i need to start leaning out with some cardio so i can be ready for summer fitness competitions.  I am shooting for June.

An increase in cardio = more running.  My work out routine will consist of at least 3 days a week of cardio, 3 -4 for lifting and 2 for Bodyflow.  Planning it right means i'll have at least two rest days a week from one or the other activity so i'm constantly doing something but resting muscle groups appropriately.

As for my run training plan, new shoes.  I just ordered them.  New Balance Minimus 1690s  i like my minimus 1010v2 but those are trail shoes and i need to get a pair for road running.  after some research the Minimus 1690s are what i'm looking for.  I want to try the Minimus 10 slip ons but that will have to wait till the end of the months check :0)

new running routine will mean 3 times a week regardless i need to run.  one of those run days will be on the weekend. I need to run at least 5 miles when i do a run.  doing 5 ks isn't prepping me enough for the distances i need.  if i'm not gonna run 5 miles i need to stay home period lol.
my pre run warm up of jump squats, scissor lunges and side skips needs to be done to get my shins, ankles and calfs ready if i don't do all of it they hurt around mile 1.7-2.4 and slow me down.  this last race i did my full routine and did not have the same problem.

The Garmin beeps and i need to listen... PERIOD.

next race is a 10k.  Monument ave 10k.  my goal is to finish by 1:05  that would shave 4 mins off my time from the half.  Lets see if i can do it!

Comments

Popular Posts